These white flakes, which appear on your hair or on your shoulders, are called dandruff and can be very embarrassing. To answer the main question – what is dandruff – it is a skin problem which occurs on the scalp. It may also occur on the eyebrows, eyelashes and the beard. It can be experienced by anybody, regardless of race, sex and age.
Our body sheds or gets rid of the dead cells, in order to give a way to the newer skin cells. This also holds true for the condition of our scalp. Dandruff is a dead skin cells that our scalp has shed. Having dandruff is not a big deal. It can be remedied without consulting the physician. What is alarming here is the embarrassment you will eventually feel, when people began to notice the white flakes on your hair and shoulder.
Dandruff is a condition where a person experiences itching on her scalp. Causes of dandruff vary and one of the causes is the male sex hormones, hence more men have dandruff. Other causes of dandruff are:
- Dry Skin can cause itching and redness of the scalp.
- Some shampoos or lotion or other skin products which you have used have caused negative effects to your skin.
- The skin produces excess skin oil. If by chance malessizia (a type of fungus,thrives on the scalp) combines with the excess oil, will irritate the skin scalp and will most likely produce dandruff or skin shedding.
- Persons who have eczema, acne or psoriasis will most likely have dandruff; A weak immune system can also cause skin problems including dandruff.
- People who have HIV, Parkinson’s disease and recuperating from heart attacks can also cause dandruff.
- Stress and pressures can also cause dandruff.
Infrequent washing of the hair can build up dirt and dandruff
Dandruff problems can easily be solved by following these simple tips like:
- Combing the hair always
- Eating nutritious foods always
- Avoid staying under the sun without a head covering; the heat can dry the scalp which will eventually cause dandruff.
- Wash your hair regularly to get rid of the dirt.
- Check on the shampoo or other hair products that you use. Some chemicals can harm your scalp and hair. In purchasing these hair products you have to choose someanti-dandruff shampoos which can treat your dandruff
- Stay away from products which are sticky and greasy including styling gels, hair spray and mousse.
- Be confident and be happy!